IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: Here's my headache  (Read 10943 times)

Phatsub

• View Profile
Here's my headache
« on: August 21, 2009, 06:55:14 PM »

Above is the alternator that I think is bad. I'm waiting on the arrival of the Dual Rectifier 200 amp. If it's going to be a simple swap, I'll take pics of the job and post them up in here.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:24:34 PM by Phatsub »

Ask the Rebuilder

Here's my headache
« on: August 21, 2009, 06:55:14 PM »

Randy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Here's my headache
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 11:33:56 PM »
Your Ride Looks Sweet and Clean, it says Style & Class all the way.

Yes the dual rectifier will fit the alternator location perfectly, I can't wait to see the pictures. If you have a high draw system your alternator will get hot, if it does you can help cool it with the QuikCool Alternator Cooling System by Quick Start. The QuikCool will make your alternator last longer and work better.
To read more about the QuikCool Device click the link http://www.alternatorparts.com/Remote_Alternator_Cooling_System.htm

Phatsub

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:22:21 PM »
Thanks Randy. It was a show-car for about a year until I got burnt-out. Now I drive it on the weekends and occasional road trips. I do have a high draw system, I thought I put up a picture but I guess not. Here it is. 2600 peak watts. The deal in between the subs is a 25 farad capacitor which I think is the main drain culprit.

Phatsub

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »
Are there any pictures of the quickcool system installed on a vehicle?

Phatsub

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »
The Dual Rectifier came today. I'll get her installed this weekend.

Randy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »
The Dual Rectifier alternator is a very good alternator, nice picture.
The double set of Bridge Rectifiers make the alternator more durable as far as the rectifier goes. The next thing to look out for is the whole unit overheating and burning up the stator, this is where the QuikCool product comes in.
A manager from a large southwestern car audio chain will be installing one in his personal vehicle to test. He drives from store to store and says as the day goes on his alternator charges less & less. If he goes in a store for 20 minutes it charges OK for a while. He will be testing the QuikCool to see if it will keep his alternator charging better and longer. His vehicle has a thermal sensor that cuts the alternator back from charging if it becomes overheated. Also, as the diodes and wires heat up they do not work as well and you loose power. By blowing cool air on the alternator and getting rid of excesses heat it will make the alternator work better and last longer.
I will let you know how it goes.
See Quick Start's QuikCool Alternator Cooling System here:
http://www.alternatorparts.com/Remote_Alternator_Cooling_System.htm

Phatsub

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 08:08:23 PM »
Today I swapped out the OEM tranny heat exchanger for a much bigger one.

Side-by-side with the replacement