IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: T-bird alternator problems  (Read 2603 times)

blackman3941

• View Profile
T-bird alternator problems
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:35:12 AM »
Hi, I have a 94 T-bird that I have had forever and gone through 3 alternators since I have owned it. This last alternator was a reman from a popular parts store. It lasted a few years but never truly kept the voltage up at all times. I searched all the forums for answer to this 3G alternator problem but to no avail. The exciter wire puts out about 6-6.5 volts and the alternator charges around 14-14.5 when running down the road. Get to a stop light or stop sign and the voltage drops to battery voltage at 12.5 or 12.8. I thought about ordering a rectifier for it but I want to be sure that is exactly what is wrong. I had a rebuilder fix it last week but the voltage still fluctuates all the time. HELP!!!

Ask the Rebuilder

T-bird alternator problems
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:35:12 AM »

Randy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: T-bird alternator problems
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »
Yes, more than likely it is the bridge rectifier. The diodes in the rectifiers wear out and don't work as well as they get older. If your alternator worked better when it was new and now seems to not work as well. it's the bridge rectifier failing. Here is the page where you can order the bridge rectifier http://store.alternatorparts.com/bridgerectifier-9.aspx
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:44:07 PM by drew »