IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: Can an Alternator overcharging a Battery?  (Read 5043 times)

Yukon Dave

• View Profile
Can an Alternator overcharging a Battery?
« on: June 25, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »
I purchased a (DI-CS144-DR200SE) dual rectifier, self exciting voltage regulated 200 Amp Alternator from Quick Start.  The Cadillac I have came with a 55Amp Regulator and the Battery I am using is an Optima Red Gel Cell that is a few months old.  I plan on powering a high power stereo system and want to make sure I have more than enough power at idle.

My question is will the alternator generate too much power if I have the stereo turned off and boil my battery at freeway speeds?

Should I get an additional external regulator to monitor the battery?

Will the extra power wreak havoc on the rest of the electrical system and cause my lights to blow?

In short can I have too much alternator for my Battery?

Ask the Rebuilder

Can an Alternator overcharging a Battery?
« on: June 25, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »

Alternatorman

• View Profile
Re: Can an Alternator overcharging a Battery?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »
 :) The good news is that a larger alternator, within reason, will not damage or cause problems with your electrical system but there are some things to do and look out for.
The voltage regulator in the alternator controls the alternator, the voltage regulator can make the alternator put out little amps or alot.
The voltage regulator measures the state or charge of the battery and turns the alternator up or down depending on how fast the power is leaving the battery (current draw). You might have a 250 amp alternator that is only putting out 25 amps because that is all the system needs, then as demand goes up the voltage regulator turns the alternator up. If the voltage regulator fails in a way that allows the alternator's output to go out of control can damage your system.
One of the big factors with high output alternators is to make sure you have large enough battery wire and an upgraded ground as well.
A wire that is to small that runs between the alternbator and battery will for sure damage your alternator.
Large wires, good grounding throughout the whole system and a good battery are most important.