IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: ALTERNATOR PROBLEMS  (Read 4206 times)

timaay

• View Profile
ALTERNATOR PROBLEMS
« on: June 15, 2009, 11:56:36 AM »
I have a '69 Camaro and a '66 Nova that have '76 and '79 model motors in them.  They have 100 amp one wire alternators in them that were bought from the super chevy show.  In 4 years, I have went thru 5 alternators.  They stop putting out.  Its getting old. They don't run hot, the battery is disconnected when it is charged and they both have new batteries.  What is going on?  Also, the volt meter shows 14.7 to 15 volt output when its running but the starter still drags when engine is restarted hot.  Battery shows 10 to 11 volts.  All connections have been tripple checked.  Always starts fine when it cools off and battery volt is back to normal.  HELP!

Ask the Rebuilder

ALTERNATOR PROBLEMS
« on: June 15, 2009, 11:56:36 AM »

Alternatorman

• View Profile
Re: ALTERNATOR PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:10:41 PM »
This is a tough but common problem because it could be several issues, first is the quality of the products used. There is a wide price and quality spread in the rebuilding industry. If someone is using low quality products the unit will not last. At the prices I see some of the units selling for I know they are using the cheapest products available. I get calls all the time with people "price shopping" without consideration for the quality of the product, if it's just about the price rebuilders are forced to use cheap & low quality products.
Also the problem could be in the bridge rectifier used. The bridge rectifier converts the AC power that an alternator makes into DC power for use by the vehicle. The bridge rectifier must have a higher amperage rating than the output of the stator, i.e. if you have a 100 amp output stator you must have a bridge rectifier rated at over 100 amps, preferably it should a be 200 amp rating at the rectifier. This is why we developed the dual rectifier alternator and the Quicktifier remote bridge rectifier for situations where no one builds a rectifier at a high enough rating for your unit. The Quicktifier can be attached to just about any alternator to increase durability.
You should also charge the battery before starting if your classic vehicle sits for long periods, this first starting after sitting is hard on alternators.
Your starter problems could be a timing issue.