IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: CS-130D problems?  (Read 5252 times)

Dan39

• View Profile
CS-130D problems?
« on: June 13, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Hello. Looks like im the first poster at this new forum :D awesome.

If you do need help with the site/forums im good with computers(websites, html, php, linux) and have helped many people with their sites and ran my own site/forums for a few years also. I'm also ok with cars and pretty good with electrical stuff.(really good with theory)

I have a 1997 K3500 chevy pickup with a CS-130D(standard two foot two inch mount?) alternator in it. Will the AD-244 fit in its place? I'm pretty sure the CS-144 will.

The current alternator in my truck seems to act a little funny. Sometimes(like every other day for a little while) the dashboard voltage reads really high(like 4+ volts more than it usually does). It seems to stay like that if I idle and then is better when im at higher rpm. Not sure if this is just the voltmeter giving false readings or not(i know they are not accurate). The voltage also fluctuates/pulsates a lot. Like if i look at my radio or headlights I can see them kind of pulsating/flickering. What would be causing this? Alternator problems/voltage regulator? bad grounds?

What's a good cheap choice to replace the CS-130D? The CS-144? I don't need something that puts out major amps, the only extra equipment I plan to have is maybe an amp(200watt maybe) and a maybe 100watt CB radio. I am about to put in a new high end head unit and don't want to mess it up with too high/fluctuating voltage.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 10:44:53 AM by Dan39 »

Ask the Rebuilder

CS-130D problems?
« on: June 13, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »

Alternatorman

• View Profile
Re: CS-130D problems?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:18:57 PM »
Yes the AD244 series will fit in place of your CS-130D and plug directly into your harness without the need for a wiring harness adapter like the D1-W1206 needed for the CS-144 upgrade. The benefit of the CS-144 is that it comes in a dual rectifier version for high amp situations.
When considering the AD244 I recommend the Heavy Duty version as it comes with a bridge rectifier that has a higher amperage rating.
Both the AD244 & CS-144 will give you more power at low engine RPM's and is much more reliable at higher amperage.

Dan39

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »
What about the high and fluctuating voltage problem?

Also sometimes at night I can see my battery light flickering on.

Alternatorman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:24:10 PM »
High or fluctuating voltage is most commonly caused by the voltage regulator.
Fluctuating can also be cause by the brushes sticking or bouncing on the slip rings.
But I find the voltage regulator is the most common problem

Alternatorman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 12:24:49 PM »
Bad Diodes in the bridge rectifier can also cause flickering.