IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: Can you help with an alternator wiring issue?  (Read 3271 times)

ed seymour

• View Profile
Can you help with an alternator wiring issue?
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:38:27 AM »
My car is a 66 Alfa GT Veloce but over the years it has had all sorts of changes. When I bought the car it had a letter engine and I believe alternator fixed.

I recently had a garage swop the engine for a more powerful one but kept the alternator. When they came to refit they were unsure of which wires went where. Thing is the car seems to run ok except I now have no gen warning light and the car does not seem to charge, even with a new battery.

The alternator is a Bosch  and carries a number  0 120 400 528, beneath this is  KT and the remainder is illegible.

At present it is wired – Red at 1 o’clock, Black at 3 o’clock, Brown and 6 o’clock and green at 9 o’clock. Is this correct?

Also, looking at a wiring diagram it shows a red cable running from the alternator to the battery. On my car this went to the starter solenoid. So I have now connected it to the battery. Am I correct?

Hope you can help.

Ask the Rebuilder

Can you help with an alternator wiring issue?
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:38:27 AM »

Randy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help with an alternator wiring issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:01:37 PM »
My application guide says the number you give is a 35 amp Bosch alternator that uses an external voltage regulator. What type markings are on the voltage regulator & alternator where the wires connect?