IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: What is a alternator repair kit? How difficult is it to install?  (Read 3386 times)

YTGARCIA

• View Profile
I have a 1997 Ford Taurus and my battery light started flickering. The next morning my car wouldn't start. I jumped it multiple times and the battery would not stay charged. I took it to the auto parts store and they told me my battery was fine, and but I had a bad alternator. I really don't want to pay the price of a new or rebuild one and I noticed there is a repair kit you can buy. Will this work? How long will it last? How difficult is the repair?

Ask the Rebuilder

Randy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What is a alternator repair kit? How difficult is it to install?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 04:45:13 PM »
Your 97 Taurus came with either the 3G or 4G series alternator, it depends on which motor you have.
The 4G has a black cover over the entire back of the alternator, the 3G does not have a black cover and you can see the voltage regulator screwed to the back of the alternator. Difficulty of the repair depends on a persons ability and experience. I find most of the work on the 3&4G alternators not to be to difficult.
It would be to much to go into all the details on repairing your Taurus alternator in this single post, I can add more later.