IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: CS-130/CS-130D dual installation  (Read 2711 times)

RickMuller2004

• View Profile
CS-130/CS-130D dual installation
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:37:17 AM »
Need a little guidance.  I am installing a CS-130 and CS-130D (Powermaster 7802 and 48206) into a vehicle with an LS-1 chevy engine.  This is not a typical install as the electronics that it will drive are very expensive ($10k).
The 2 alternators will be run in an either or situation where one is a backup. My challenge: understanding how to sense and disable an out of control alternator.  I recognize the likelihood is very small that an alternator regulator would get into a run-away situation and provide output > 16V.  But that is the concern. 
Sensing it is not the problem.  That I have in place.  But what do I do with the P-L-F/I-S pins of the alternator.  I have run this by Powermaster and of course they were of little help as they only know how to connect wires in common platforms (“What model Chevy car”). 

Thought:  What happens if when I sense an out of control alternator if I ground one of the P-L-F/I-S pins?  Will this disable the output on the battery terminal? 

Ask the Rebuilder

CS-130/CS-130D dual installation
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:37:17 AM »

drew

• Internet Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AlternatorParts.com
Re: CS-130/CS-130D dual installation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »
The P-L-I/F-S terminals stand for

• Phase/Pulse: A stator signal used by tachometers
  • Light: The Vehicle no-charge light, also used for alternator activation
  • Ignition / Field: This pin is different for the different types of regulators. On PLIS regulators, this is a switched ignition activation lead, there is an internal, resisted connection to the L terminal. In PLFS regulators, this is the Field terminal, which will report the field voltage to the vehicle computer to determine alternator load
  • Sense: This is the voltage sense for the regulator, cutting back the field voltage if the system voltage set point is reached.

Now, for most applications only the L terminal is used for activation. Unfortunately you can't just cut the power to this L terminal and stop the alternator. After the alternator is activated, it powers itself with the electricity it generates. To actually stop the alternator from charging with a fried regulator, you would have to ground the hot brush internally. With the way these regulators work, one brush is always grounded and the regulator varies the voltage to the hot brush. If you ground the hot brush, the field and output voltage drops to zero.