IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: External VR  (Read 4735 times)

1951sms

• View Profile
External VR
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:49:55 PM »
   Ok, I read your instructions on the External VR and now I'm even more confused. I have a 97 Sebring and the car quit charging. I had the Alt. off and checked at a Advance auto and he did it twice and it's good.?. I added the old style Mopar VR and by at least 3 sites it says to use the center or top lug of VR for the 12v battery and 1 wire to field. They say it has to be the top!You say it doesn't. So the top lug splits to the Bat and a field and the other field goes to the other lug of the VR.and get a good frame ground. So....I have done this once and it didn't work, got another VR and it still doesn't work. I removed the Plenum to see better what I was doing and made new leeds to every connections and soldered and shrink tubing each splice so it is just like the other guys said to do. Now my wife says I run on and on talkin so I'll turn it over to you. Please get me out of this mud hole. Thanks Mark

Ask the Rebuilder

External VR
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:49:55 PM »

drew

• Internet Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AlternatorParts.com
Re: External VR
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
The top middle pin should be connected to a switched ignition line, hot when the key is on and dead when the key is off. The other pin goes to one of your field connections. The other field connection attaches directly to battery positive. Then you should run a line from the regulator case to the alternator case, then from the alternator case directly to battery negative. This should get your alternator charging again.

Do you have a part number for your current voltage regulator so I can draw up a diagram?

1951sms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »
            Me again, I've done all the above connections, and still no help. I get 11.8 batt. now. I've charged the Battery back up and tried it but the same. I've spent hours on the Laptop hoping for a Bench Test but haven't found one. I believe the Alt. test at Advance Auto Parts was correct, that is if he connected it up right. He wasn't a Newbie. I'm thinking I have found 2 VR's bad. How can I test the Alt like you can on a Delco with a screw driver. Can I do any tests at all on the VR?

drew

• Internet Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AlternatorParts.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »
You have to 'full field' your externally regulated alternator. Jump one field connection to the alternator case, and the other to the alternator battery post. It will take off and charge at full power, but don't do it for more than a few seconds or you will burn out your rotor.

1951sms

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
  Now, it's something how easy that test showed the problem. I wanted to do it earlier but didn't have the confidence. The Advance Auto Test failed. Either the instrument or the person?? I need a Alternator. Thank you for being there! Now is their a separate test for the VR 125T. I took one VR back because I thought it to be bad. I compared the 2 on a resistance test and the 2 were not the same?

drew

• Internet Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AlternatorParts.com
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »
You can't really bench test the voltage regulators. They are best tested on vehicle, or using an alternator sample tester.

As for your alternator, it probably has bad brushes. That would explain why it worked in the Advance Auto test, but not on your vehicle (the brushes will hang up inside the holder, banging on the alternator should get it to work temporarily). If the brushes are fine, then it is either your terminal block or the rotor itself.

If you don't want to repair the alt yourself, and just replace it, let me know what engine your 97 Sebring has. I can recommend a quality replacement.

1951sms

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:55:25 PM »
  Yeah, I've rebuilt alternator and starters but the stores around here don't sell brushes. I have gone to a friends unused brushes and file them to fit the need. The carbon does change shape quickly with a file. I have a Alt. from another from a 4 cyl. Mopar. The brushes may fit??  I did get my hand down to the connection on the Alt. and tried to get them to slip loose. I've found out that the Intake Plenum can he removed in about 10 minutes and make it easier to get the Bugger loose. Clean the intake gasket and spray with Hi Tack, seals quite well. My 2005 Caravan uses a Nipon, didn't even look to see who builds this Alt. World Parts rebuilt this one , not to long back by the clean this looks, stickers are really fresh??

1951sms

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »
  It's me again, It's been a while and I've no luck at all. I've done the Field test with grounding the one field wire and battery voltage with the other with no luck!!I've bought a Alt. from Auto Zone and it checked good after I installed it on my car and no good, they gave me another and it doesn't work. This is impossible!, 3 rebuilt alternators, 3 external regulators. Have yet to do any good. Can you recommend a alternator of an earlier Mopar or another that can be used on this 97' Sebring 2.5, or anything to get this car GONE!!

drew

• Internet Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AlternatorParts.com
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:00:20 PM »
You could use a Delco type internally regulated alternator. Mounting might be an issue, but an A285 bracket should allow you to install an internally regulated alternator in place of your externally regulated unit. Then it is just a matter of running a switched ignition line to the activation terminal on the alternator.