IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: Full floating ground alternator  (Read 4525 times)

charlesmoore03

• View Profile
Full floating ground alternator
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »
I have an RV with a "start battery" and 4each "house batteries".  The house batteries have an Heart 2500 inverter/charger(110VAC).  Right now all batteries are charged from one self-exciting alternator, via a combiner relay.  I am looking to add another alternator to charge the house batteries.  What I need is a full floating ground alternator so I can put the negative terminal on the top side of the shunt and the positive terminal to the batteries.  By doing this the Amp-Hr meter will clock down as the alternator amps flow through the shunt.  Do you have such an 100 - 140 Amp alternator?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:38:47 PM by charlesmoore03 »

Ask the Rebuilder

Full floating ground alternator
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »

drew

• Internet Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AlternatorParts.com
Re: Full floating ground alternator
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »
All alternators can be floating ground if you don't connect the alternator frame to the chassis ground. You just need to make sure there's a connection from the negative connection on the battery bank to the alternator frame, as well as a connection between the positive posts. Otherwise, a common ground wouldn't hamper anything.