IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Ads on this site are GUARANTEED VIRUS FREE, your computer will not get a Virus from our ads.

Author Topic: External voltage regulator on Dodge/Chrysler w/PCM computer controled alternator  (Read 5193 times)

Randy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hello, I have a 1993 Dodge dakota, I am doing a custom fuel injection system on it and need to bypass the factory computer. I would like to know if I can just use an external regulator? What do you recommend? It is wired through the PCM with 2 wires a green and a blue. I am looking for the most cost effective way to make this work. Thanks for your time and help.

Thanks, Woodrow
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:35:10 PM by Randy »

Ask the Rebuilder

Randy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: By passing the Dodge/Chrysler PCM computer control of the alternator
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
Yes you can use an early (late 70's early 80's) Dodge/Chrysler electronic external voltage regulator like our part number c8313
To make it work you just need an ignition wire to both the voltage regulator and to one of field connections (brushes) on the alternator. The "field" connection on the voltage regulator is run to the other brush (field) connection. This is an "A" circuit type voltage regulator which means full power is sent to one brush while the voltage regulator controls output by varying the ground to the other brush.
It does not matter which wire you run to the regulator field connection and which one you ground, you can swap them around. The external regulator will make your alternator work.

Randy
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:25:19 PM by Randy »